15 May 2013

Through My Lens: Mongolia

Ger in the Grassland
Ger near Kharkhorin.
To view larger version:  Click Here

A couple years ago, I decided to take a last minute trip (only two weeks notice) to Mongolia to see the Naadam festival and to experience the vast openness of this primarily nomadic nation.  It was a trip where I felt I grew a lot as a photographer.  When I returned home after the trip, I was happy that I had captured my best photo set ever up to that point in time.  Looking back, there are definitely some good photos in the set, but it's pretty obvious to me that my post-processing skills were still fairly amateur (and have come a long way since).  However, like most things in life, practice makes perfect.

These are some of the photos I took during my trip to Mongolia.



Rows and Rows of Houses... Walls Painted Blue
Soviet-era apartment housing blocks in Ulaanbaatar.
To view larger version:  Click Here
Ouch! - A Mongolian Contortionist
Contortionist at the Tumen Ekh Song & Dance Ensemble at the State Youth & Children's Theatre in Ulaanbaatar.
To view larger version:  Click Here
UAZ Van
These UAZ (Ulyanovsky Avtomobilny Zavod) vans seem to be all over Mongolia.
To view larger version:  Click Here
The Wild Bunch
Some Mongolian cowboys (and one cowgirl) arrive at the Kharkhorin Naadam.
To view larger version:  Click Here
Like a Bird
A Mongolia wrestler dances like a bird after winning a match at the Kharkhorin Naadam.
This tradition of dancing like a bird is performed around the flag pole by the wrestlers
before and after each match.
To view larger version:  Click Here
My Best Friend in Tsenkher
This 70-year old man, named Chuluunbat, befriended me at the Naadam festival in Tsenkher.
To view larger version:  Click Here
Airag (Mongolian Fermented Mare's Milk)
Airag (Mongolian Fermented Mare's Milk) tastes like sour milk mixed with wine.
To view larger version:  Click Here
VIP View of Naadam
This was the view from the VIP section at the Tsenkher Naadam.
To view larger version:  Click Here
Mongolian Wrestling at the Tsenkher Naadam
Mongolian Wrestling at the Tsenkher Naadam
To view larger version:  Click Here
Mongolian Wildflowers
Mongolian Wildflowers
To view larger version:  Click Here
The Closest I Got To Seeing Mongolian Archery
TV Interview For The Tsetserleg Naadam Archery Champion
To view larger version:  Click Here
The Winning Horse
The horse trainer rides out to meet his winning horse and its rider at the Naadam festival in Tsetserleg.
To view larger version:  Click Here
Dusk at the Ekh Baigali ger camp
Dusk at the Ekh Baigali Ger Camp
To view larger version:  Click Here
A Three Hour Tour....
Boat Tour On Lake Khovsgol
To view larger version:  Click Here
Fisheye View of Parliament House
Parliament House In Ulaanbaatar
To view larger version:  Click Here

* * * * * * *

My trip to Mongolia was a private trip booked through Boojum Expeditions.  I highly recommend their services for anyone heading to Mongolia.

* * * * * * *

You can view all my photos from Mongolia and the rest of our trip to Brazil by clicking here.

* * * * * * *

If you liked this entry, you may also be interested in:
   Global Goebel Travels: Through My Lens: Brasilia
   Global Goebel Travels: Local Guides: Burma - Bagan
   Global Goebel Travels: The Story Behind The Photo: The Heart of Darkness - Nyiragongo Volcano
   Global Goebel Travels: One Day In Bahrain
   Global Goebel Travels: The Story Behind The Photo: "Door to Hell" -- The Darvaza Gas Crater

   
* * * * * * *

Have you ever been to Mongolia?  How did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Share

Widgets